In case you missed it, the 11th annual Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes (ATTD
) conference happened last month. One Drop
presented some major findings.
Hold up. What's ATTD?
The ATTD meeting showcases the latest developments in diabetes tech, as well as the evidence to support it. Think: new insulin analogs and delivery systems, insulin pumps, glucose sensors, closed-loop systems, devices for diabetes prevention, artificial pancreas, and many other up-and-coming digital tools to help people with diabetes.
One Drop Findings
At the ATTD 2018 meeting, we presented significant blood glucose improvements among people using One Drop. Major win! 🤩
We sifted through our One Drop database, looking specifically for people who:
-had a One Drop | Premium or Plus subscription
-used their One Drop | Mobile app with their Apple Watch
-used One Drop | Experts coaching for 12 weeks or more
-had a starting estimated A1c (eA1c) of ≥7.5%
Thirty-four people met our inclusion criteria. They were mostly male (77%), and had type 2 diabetes (62%). The remainder (38%) had type 1 diabetes. In week 1 with One Drop, the sample's average blood glucose was 227 mg/dL. By week 12, the average blood glucose was 179 mg/dL. That's a 1.6% eA1c reduction in just three months. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!
As we know firsthand from having diabetes, A1c is not always the best measure of blood glucose management. For example, a series of high blood sugars can be offset by a series of low blood sugars. That average, then, will represent a number that's an average of highs and lows. And while that A1c number may be good, the real highs and lows are not. What's better? Consistently in-range blood glucose levels.
In-Range Blood Glucose
In just 12 weeks, One Drop subscribers with Apple devices reduced the number of high blood glucose readings and improved the number of in-range readings. Double win whammy. In week 1, 66% of blood glucose readings were high. That dropped by 26% in week 12, to only 40% of blood glucose readings that were high in a given week. A comparable improvement was seen for in-range blood glucose readings. In week 1, only 32% of readings were in-range. That improved by 25% in week 12, with 57% of that week's readings in-range.
What Does It All Mean?
Average blood glucose readings? Down. ⬇ Average high blood glucose readings? Down. ⬇ Average in-range blood glucose levels? Up. ⬆ These winning outcomes thanks to a One Drop | Premium or Plus
subscription (on-demand test strip delivery, Bluetooth-enabled blood glucose meter, and anytime access to a personalized Certified Diabetes Educator), along with the One Drop | Mobile app on iPhone and Apple Watch.
Check out the full story and poster here